momo
Cool Member

Bat house/guano question

I just put a bat house up and I'm wondering if I should do anything in preparation for the guano that will be appearing when the bats move in. I am planning on using the guano in the garden so I am wondering how best to go about that. I put the house on the back of the garage at the peak of the roof, currently there is nothing underneath it but weeds. Can I just leave it as it is?

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't have an answer to your question, because the bat house I put up at the previous place I lived, never did attract any bats, though there were plenty of them flying around the place in the evening and a couple times ones that got in the house down the chimney.

At best, what I have heard is that it takes a year or so before the human smell comes off the house enough for the bats to move in, so I'm guessing your guano issue isn't an immediate problem.

Sevie96

Wish I could answer that one for ya too. Rainbow, my father is having the same problem with his bat house, bats everywhere, but nobody has taken up vacancy in the bat house. It was put up last year, I'll have to tell him what you said.

applestar
Mod

I was told that a window sill planter (long rectangular planter) is the best guano collector. Put some straw or dried leaves in the bottom.

... if the bats don't move in right away, I guess you could plant some annuals in the planter for now. :wink:

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”