Ech

The Great Sunflower Project

The other day I planted my contribution to The Great Sunflower Project and I already have a unique start. This is my 3 leaved Lemon Queen Sunflower Seedling.

I have never had a three leaved seedling like that before.

Also, for all of you who do not know, the Great Sunflower Project is part of Citizen Science to help keep track of wild bee populations since they are responsible for pollinating 1/3 of all the food produced in the US. Its worth checking out.

LA47
Green Thumb

I haven't heard of that. I had already planned to plant several diffent kinds of sun flowers this year. A few giants, black oil, and some smaller branched with various colors. I'll have to check out that site.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The Great Sunflower Project: The Backyard Bee Count was established several years ago, to get on-the-ground, up-to-date data on bee pollination and bee population strength in North America. "Lemon Queen" is the cultivar of choice. Read the website for complete information. :)

Do whatever you can to help support these most important pollinators! Anywhere from one-third to 40% of our food depends on honeybee pollination. :shock:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Good idea, I will find places to plant sunflowers. I have oil sunflower seed I got for the birds, will this work to spread some in areas. I have a lot of it.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”