grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

How to Plant Desert Willow Seeds

I am moving this posting to the appropriate forum at the poster's PM request. :wink:
VAL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bpye
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:07 pm Post subject: How to plant desert willow seeds and make sure they grow?

We had rain this year at our desert home and the desert willow trees bloomed so wonderfuly and had so many seeds -I wanted to plant them. I am not sure how to go about it since my seed experience consists of scrapping up dirt throwing in the seeds and watering . I am learning that it maybe a bit more complicated than that So I am seeking out wisdom on how to do it and be a sucess The seeds are really amazing -so please help me out.

Thank you all!

Betty
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
grandpasrose
Mod
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm Post subject:

Not being able to tell where you are from, I cannot really tell you about when to plant the seeds, as I don't know your seasons. However, from what I have read about Desert Willow, it seems to be easily propogated. If you want to start them indoors, save some of the mature seeds by letting the pods dry on the plant, and then breaking them open for the seeds. Plant them in pots until they get a good start, and then slowly climatize them to outdoors, then transplanting them to where you want them.
You should also be able to just sow them outdoors where you want them to be, once it is temperate to do so.
Desert Willow is not particularly fussy about soil type, but it must be well drained, and does not like to be over watered.
Hope this helps!
VAL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
opabinia51
Mod
Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:39 pm Post subject:

I think that this thread would be more suited in the perennials section. You may wish to repost your question there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bpye
Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 am Post subject:

Hi

I am sorry I will move to another place. I did not mean to be intrusive. I am not sure if I know how to remove myself. Just no one answer me here and I will try a better place. Thanks

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No need to apologize, and you were not being intrusive in the least. You probably won't get alot of response in the seed swapping forum, as this is meant for people wishing the trade seeds and plants.
Hopefully you will hear more in this forum! Best of Luck! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As the plant is a woody shrub, you might have better luck doing cuttings. Try to root a second year cutting (not just this years wood, but cut a node or two from last years) using some rooting hormone and some vermiculite... THis should be at least as easy as starting seeds, as they have a pod, and that usually means scarification or acid baths or any of a bunch of propagators tricks...

Scott

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”