Lil_Hell_Kat

Walnut tree

Hey everyone. We inheritated a walnut tree with this house as well. With the new neighbors cleaning up their yard it has taken off this year we have tons of nuts coming out, but neither of us know what to do with them when the time comes. Outta interest I took one off and cut it open things inside look to be growing properly.What am I supposed to do now? I think I read somewhere wait for the green balls to start to crack then what?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have always picked the nuts up off the ground after they fall. You want to do this daily, because if they're left on the ground too long, they can be infested with ants and other bugs.

I put the walnuts in a cool, dry place until the hulls/husks turn black and can be removed fairly easily by hand. (I spread them out on old window screens in my garage.) Once I have removed the husks, I dry them in my food dehydrator for a couple of days. They can also be dried in an oven set on very low heat, or even in an attic, if you have reasonably easy access to yours.

This is just a rough outline of how I do it. I'm sure you could Google "drying walnuts" and get even better information. :)

JennyC
Green Thumb

While you're Googling, also check to see if you have black walnut or English walnut. It makes a difference in how easily you can remove the husks -- the usual recommendations for removing black walnut husks involve either vices and hammers or cars and pave driveways!

Either sort is wonderful in baked goods. I have many black walnuts trees here, and I intend to go to the trouble of removing the husks -- they're worth it.

Lil_Hell_Kat

tHANKS FOR THE INFO, WE HAD TO TRIM IT BACK CONSIDERABLY THIS WEEKEND ITS ON THE PROPERTY LINE AND WAS BLOCKING THE SUN FOR THE NEIGHBORS GARDEN, SADLY THE MULBERRY BUSH WASNT ABLE TO STAY BUT ITS PROBABLY JUST AS WELL IT ATTRACTED THE RACOONS THAT ARE PLAGUING THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

zigzag
Newly Registered

Lil_Hell_Kat wrote:Hey everyone. We inheritated a walnut tree with this house as well. With the new neighbors cleaning up their yard it has taken off this year we have tons of nuts coming out, but neither of us know what to do with them when the time comes. Outta interest I took one off and cut it open things inside look to be growing properly.What am I supposed to do now? I think I read somewhere wait for the green balls to start to crack then what?
My mum had a tree and I used to pickle the walnuts once they had fallen, real tasty. Bit of a drawn out process though. You pay a fortune in supermarkets for pickled walnuts.

Lil_Hell_Kat

Thanks for the replies. I am gonna find out what kind of tree it is for sure. Since the girls are going to be too active next year for a full garden like I wanted the walnuts will probably be a fun thing for them to pick up for mommy (god I hope they want to help lol)

Lil_Hell_Kat

Has anyone ever had a black walnut affect other things growing in their yard. My neighbor is all of a sudden nuts about the walnut tree. I am pretty positive its a black walnut from research I have done online. So shes saying the tree is toxic gonna kill everything. I came across an article says yah they are somewhat toxic but only to certain things. Also gotta keep leaves n fruit up which is no problem. But she says as it grows so will its path of destruction? I have nothing dead under it but I have little under it because it provides nice shade. Any suggestions or past exprience would help. I have a feeling I'm going to be fighting for this trees life.

dinker

I have black walnut tree's .Two right beside my house they are great shade one has grown to shade my porch. just watch out when they are full grown and start falling. On one side about 1to 2ft away I have a large mixture of flower's even hollyhocks the other side about 15ft away I have a clamatis growing on a large old wagon wheel and I've never had any problem with any of them.they grow all over this area and I've never heard any one say they are toxic.they come from nature people eat them animals need them to survive the winter.There is a lot more Toxic things in this world then a walnut tree.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Walnut trees can be toxic to other plants due to the juglone (juglones?) in their wood. It's an evolutionary strategy to discourage competition called allelopathy.

I don't know any more than that about the allelopathy of walnut trees, but thought I'd give you some key words for Internet searching.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

applestar
Mod

:? You just moved in recently right? And this is a full-grown, nut-bearing tree. The neighbor isn't new to the property too, right? It sounds more like this neighbor is trying to take advantage. He/she should know fully well that this is a black walnut that's been here for ages and that they need to carefully choose what they plant in their "garden" within its influence. You already chopped it "considerably" to accommodate them. What more do they want? :roll: Besides, of all of you, the TREE was here FIRST! :evil:

JennyC
Green Thumb

There are some toxins, true. But anything that's grwoing there now isn't going to die. Sounds like your neighbor has had a beef with the tree and hopes to fool you.

For what it's worth, my veggie garden is ringed by 13 black walnuts, plus there's a small one in between two of the beds right in the garden. Now, it might be that my garden would grow better without the trees, but the peas and squash that are in contact with the branches of the little one are very productive in spite of walnuts, aphids, and squash bugs. I try to keep the fallen nuts out of the garden beds. Other than that, I don't do anything. I haven't needed to buy vegetables for the table since early June, and I'm putting a lot away for winter.

You might also try telling your neighbor that cutting the tree down could actually cause it to release more toxins for a couple of years as the roots decompose. Look it up and get all the info you can for ammo. Good luck saving your tree!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”