myxoma
Newly Registered

Pink variety Ficus Elastica Variegata - Sick - Please help!

About 6 weeks ago I bought a pink Ficus Elastica Variegata.

My problem is that about 2 weeks after bringing it home these brown spots started appearing. As you can see in the images, they are quite large. They only seem to occur on the older, yellower leaves, closer to the bottom of the plant. There are some brown spots on some of the pinker leaves but basically, the yellower the leaf the more brown spots it has on it. The newest leaves at the top are beautiful pink and shiny and waxy, they look great and even have some new leaves emerging. The bottom half looks like junk, dull non-glossy leaves. I have searched the internet far and wide for ficus pests, it doesn't seem to be an insect, fungus, mold, etc. Basically it looks like the brown spots could be caused by anything! Too much light, not enough light, a viral infection, a nutrient deficiency, etc.

I water it every 4-7 days, when the soil starts to dry out.
I have fertilized it once since bringing it home, about 4 weeks after purchase.
I watered it with tap water the first time, but read they don't like that. So I have used filtered water from my Brita filter. I don't know if that's good or not, but in Orange County, there is no rainwater :(
I read that this pink variety actually needs some direct sunlight. I gradually introduced it to late afternoon direct sun, and it seems to LOVE it.

The brown patches seem to have stopped spreading in the last week, but I am still very concerned and I want to know what the heck this is all about :(

I really love this little plant and I hope someone can help. I am at a complete loss!

[img]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/myxomata/sickficus3.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/myxomata/sickficus2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t80/myxomata/sickficus1.jpg[/img]

Note the yellow leaves horrible while the pink leaves are great^

pd

I see this as 'leaf scorch' common in the Ficus elastica decora
It is a environmental disorder and can have several causes. Over wet soil or excessively dry soil; cold draughts or direct sunlight particularly through a window. Plants newly potted or having a sudden change in environment are particularly susceptible.

myxoma
Newly Registered

I've gotten a lot of conflicting advice about the sunlight issue. It is said that generally most ficus should avoid direct sunlight. But I've read the pink variety loves direct sun (just avoid midday sun) and this plant does seem to like it. So I'm really not sure :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

myxoma wrote:I've gotten a lot of conflicting advice about the sunlight issue. It is said that generally most ficus should avoid direct sunlight. But I've read the pink variety loves direct sun (just avoid midday sun) and this plant does seem to like it. So I'm really not sure :(
The plant may well love sunlight, because it doesn't have as much chlorophyll in its leaves as a plant that is all green. However, I would set it a few feet back from the window to avoid overheating it. :)

myxoma
Newly Registered

I don't know. Does anyone have a clue as to why it's really only the yellower leaves on the bottom half of the plant that this is happening to? See the last picture. That must be an indication of something? It can't really be the sunlight because it's not the leaves getting the most sunlight that are "scorching"... there are some leaves that get a lot of direct sun which are totally fine, and there are leaves that don't even face the window, that don't get any sun, that look awful, and vice versa :? :(

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would make a wild guess that the humidity in your home may not be exactly the same as the humidity in which the plant originally grew. That could cause the older leaves to suffer somewhat, while the newer leaves that have grown in the time you have had the plant are adapted to your home environment. As I said, just a wild guess. Don't really know.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”