lgreene
Newly Registered

Crepe Myrtle For The North?

I live in south central Michigan about 35 miles southwest of Lansing. The planting zone is 5. I would be very appreciative if anyone knows of a crepe myrtle that is suitable for growing this far north. I lived in Texas years ago and I remember their flowers, and the bark also. Such beautiful plants.

harleybrat
Newly Registered

I was born and raised in Baton Rouge and lived many years in East Texas. The crepe myrtles are beautiful. My family in Baton Rouge have a weeping crepe myrtle (absolutely beautiful). I'm in Michigan and have asked about crepe myrtles growing here but no answer as of yet. So sorry I couldn't answer your question but had to reply back since I saw you were once in TeXaS. :) I'll let you know if I find out cause I'm still checking around.

Have a good day!
Marie in Belleville

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You might want to but dwarfs that fit in hanging baskets because that's the only crape you'll be able to grow.

Toms92gp

I don't think there are any that will tollerate areas much colder then 6b. I'm in Zone 7b and I though I lost one of mine 2 years ago with a late season freeze, it came back slowly though and is fine now.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”