mm12463

sick tree?

My neighbor and I were talking and he pointed out that my tree looks wierd. So I took a few pictures.

The first pic I outlined the sick looking area. You can see the color difference of the leaves. And the second picture you cen see the close up. Not sure what is. And honestly I am not sure if this is a maple or something else.

Any ideas?

[img]https://www.silver-fox.us/plants/tree2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.silver-fox.us/plants/tree1.jpg[/img]

I don't want to lose the tree. Thanks for the help in advance.

caroline

Hey! This looks very much like the problem I've got with a newly planted young Acer in my front garden (my post on this forum today "Help! New Acer Cappa 'Aureum' looks poorly!!!")

How did you upload your pics? I can't work out how to do it - tried dragging and dropping the jpegs, but got only text with ".jpeg" at the end as a result... Is it simple?! (I have an Applemac, so it may be different for my machine?)

C.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

caroline wrote:Hey! This looks very much like the problem I've got with a newly planted young Acer in my front garden (my post on this forum today "Help! New Acer Cappa 'Aureum' looks poorly!!!")

How did you upload your pics? I can't work out how to do it - tried dragging and dropping the jpegs, but got only text with ".jpeg" at the end as a result... Is it simple?! (I have an Applemac, so it may be different for my machine?
I don't have an answer about the tree, but I use a Mac. If you upload your photos to photobucket.com (it's free), they give you a code to use when posting the photos on forums.

HTH! :)

mm12463

Here is what I found out. I took a leave in to the local nursery and she said it was an iron issue. It is a maple and when we looked at the leaves I had green veins and yellow leaves. Cannot remeber the term but it was basically the leaves are not producing chloriphile (spelling) and the that they brown is from buring.

So I bought a few bottles of this liquid iron (FE) and you pour it in the ground at the drip line so the roots will get it. Should help over time she said. The grass loves it! We shall see. It's not an overnight fix.

Pictures - I have my own domain and website so I upload the pictures there and have this website pull them in from mine. I don't have anything on that website just own a domain name and have a place that I can do stuff with it.

caroline

Hi and thanks for the info re. Iron deficiency - I am going to a local nursery next week, so I will take a leaf along with me then to make sure - great idea!

:wink:

mm12463

So two weeks or so I dumped a ton of this liquid iron in the grass and really watered it afterwords so it will work in. Followed the directions which is not something I normally do. LOL.

Anyway I know the tree will not have any noticable change quickly but the grass sure does!

[img]https://www.silver-fox.us/plants/tree-after-iron-grass.jpg[/img]

You can see how green the grass is around the area I poured the iron and water mixture. Kind of hard to tell but its a lot deeper green the rest. And I need to mow tomorrow morning!

caroline

Ha! I'll be sure not to get any of the iron on the grass then, as ours seems to grow like mad - my husband will be out there mowing twice a week instead of once a week!! We just can't seem to keep up... Oh well, better to have lush grass than browning grass! :wink:

WES
Newly Registered

I notice that this was from last year...I have a maple tree in the front yard that's struggling as well. Did all of your leaves eventually turn brown and did the iron help? Enquiring minds want to know! :D

caroline

Hi,
our maple (which is an Acer Cappadocicum Aureum) seems fine this year. I think it partly freaked out because we (rather stupidly!) couldn't wait for the autumn and planted it out in mid summer, when it was particularly hot, so the leaves took a bit of getting used to the sun. (But of course, this being England the sun didn't last for too long anyway!). It can also help if they aren't planted in full sun, or where there are no wind breaks, as this can be tough for them (although saying that, ours is planted in the front garden, which is South facing and it's right in the middle, with not an awful lot of windbreaks!)
The long and short of it is that I have noticed a few of these trees in and around where I live and they all seem to go a bit brown in the hot weather, but they all seem to keep going if they are well watered and cared for. I ended up taking photos to my local garden centre and they said it always looks worse on an Aureum, as they go very yellowy in the summer naturally too, but this with the brown can look quite disturbing. They said there shouldn't be any need for additional feed, it's just a bit of leaf scorch and to keep an eye on it. It has happened again this year - but I have noticed that the undersides of the leaves and the back of the tree facing away from the sun is much lusher - and the little branches that are a deep red colour, stayed this colour throughout, as they should which also led us to trust that the tree was Ok - and the amount of leaves this year - wow! Don't know why we were worried!!
Go to: www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=125545557 - "Acer 'problem' 2"
if you'd like to see the tree now! You can even see that the new (red) leaves are still coming through and even where there are yellow brown ones, so I'm confident all is well. (There's also another album there called "Acer problem", which is the tree pics from last year)
Good luck with your acer, I'm no professional (by a long shot!) but I would say that as long as they are well planted, in the right soil and get plenty of water in the dry/hot spells, they should come through. I hope yours does too, it can be horrible to see them looking so dull and sad :)

WES
Newly Registered

Thanks for replying! I'm going to take your advice and take some leaves to the nursery to see what they think. An arborist said on the phone (she never saw the tree, just heard my description) that it was probably reacting to the drought from last year!

mm12463

Mines doing it again. Same side of the tree, same issue. It's growing, its surviving. It started to get hot again last few weeks and that is when I notice again. All the iron did, IMHO, was turned my grass really green.

I have another new maple now. Not my choice. City slapped one down in my front yard. Sort of pissing me off since it will block all the early morning sun. I have issues with that and they didn't even tell me. Yet another maple. Think they could add some color but they buy the cheapest they can get. Autumn Blaze. Something different would be nice or how about tell me so I can say please don't . I want to add some things in the front corner of the house that needs sun and adds some color to the yard but won't work now. We'll see what they say when I tell them to get it out of there.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”