galapas
Newly Registered

Transplanting Shrubs

What is the best time of year to transplant flowering shrubs? I have two weigela and one honeysuckle that I planted three years ago and would like now to move them.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You don't indicate where you are located so it is tough to provide solid advice. Without knowing your climate I'm forced to generalize. Usually, early spring (mid March to early May) is an excellent time for most climates and that would definitely be my preferred choice for USDA Zones 3, 4, 5 and possibly 6. People in warm winter climates report good results with fall transplanting.

Depending on where you are located your honeysuckle is probably now identified as an invasive exotic. Rather than transplant it there is a strong case to be made for replacing with something more environmentally benign.

cheshirekat

Weigela can be propagated with cuttings so you may want to get some cuttings before you try to move them. If the move fails, you will still have the cuttings. They can be cut down nearly to the ground after they flower in the Spring. That would probably be a good time to move them to give them time to start growing healthy roots before winter.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”