freshstart
Newly Registered

ISO Yellow Flowering Shrubs Who Love Shade

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the assortment of flowering plants that I bought for our backyard will now have to be moved to our front yard. To one side of the door, it's bright and sunny, which is good for the sun-loving plants that need a new home (including three soft yellow rose bushes). But what to do with the shady side??? Can anyone think of a yellow flowering bush that thrives in a shady environment? I really want something to balance out those roses and color continuity seems like a good bet. We're in NE Ohio.

Ingersoll
Newly Registered

Some spireas are quite a yellow green, as well as euyonomous (they tend to be varigated) and both will handle a fair bit of shade, especially the euyonomous. If the shade isn't too deep a sambucus (they come in red, yellow and green) would be a good choice too. A green cutleaf Japanese Maple is a very bright shade of yellow green, but would be a little larger, so it depends on how much space you have and how sheltered it is, since they may need some winter protection in your area. Check with local nurseries for hardiness. If you have deep shade and want some yellow contrast a good groundcover would be creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia). It spreads very quickly, but is easy to control. It has the added benefit of acting as a live mulch, keeping in moisture and keeping out weeds.

freshstart
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for this. I look forward to exploring these options!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”