markb
Newly Registered

pieris carnival problem

have had a pieris carnival which is between 2-4 years old, it is kept in a container and was doing well. Two weeks ago the leaves started to drop off and the branches turn brown. It looks like it has had it does anyone know what the problem may be, and what I can do in the future to stop it happening again. I really liked the look of this plant and would like to get another. Any help would be appreciated as I am a total novice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Have you kept it indoors? And what was your watering regime like? Furthermore did you use salt based fertilizers?

markb
Newly Registered

no it has been kept outside all the time appx 3 years, kept it well watered
but not overwatered, and no I haven't used any salt based fertilzers

doccat5
Green Thumb

If you could post a picture of it, that would be a big help to try and help figure out what's going on with your plant. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

markb,

What is the type and condition of the soil? Is it dense and fairly compact. Are there any obvious spaces between soil particles? Trees and shrubs in pots are an entirely different animal than vegetables or other annuals. Soil that might be OK for a season or two has a tendency to collapse and exclude oxygen after a few years. You might want to have a look at this sticky in the bonsai forum
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422
And this one for watering tips.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
Remember you can't judge the moisture level of the entire soil mass simply from the appearance of the top. Check out the 'chopstick method' of judging your soil.

Of course all of this is secondary if the plant is in distress now. Have you ever examined the roots? I suspect that they are at the heart of the problem.

Norm

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”