tilly10
Newly Registered

Woodlice

Hi guys. I don't have many plants ( dog friendly place). I do have some brick built pots in the front, they have an assortment of plants ( mainly evergreens) One in particular ( fern type plant, grows in a huge round ball)is starting to die. On close inspection... the compost is full of woodlice.

If I boil up a pot of cig stumps, will the solution kill the boogers. Or could you recommend something. ( just been to a store, all they seem to have is leaf spray stuff... I need to get something at the roots.
Many Thanks

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hello and a very warm welcome to you here at The Helpful Gardener.

Where are you gardening (what state or Country) and what are woodlice? Maybe we refer to them as a different common name by me. Would you be in a position to provide a photo of these woodlice thingies please? Any chance you know the scientific name of these little buggers?

Editing to also ask-
What are cig stumps please?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

TheLorax wrote:Hello and a very warm welcome to you here at The Helpful Gardener.

Where are you gardening (what state or Country) and what are woodlice? Maybe we refer to them as a different common name by me. Would you be in a position to provide a photo of these woodlice thingies please? Any chance you know the scientific name of these little buggers?

Editing to also ask-
What are cig stumps please?
I believe woodlice are also commonly called "pill bugs." They are crustaceans that live in moist places and eat decaying plant matter. They recycle the nutrients into the soil. They don't do much harm, if any, to healthy plants.

"Cig stumps" would be cigarette butts. I gather OP is wondering if a homemade pesticide can be made by boiling cigarette butts. It can. I've never used it, so can't attest to its effectiveness.

Personally, I doubt the problem with the plant is being caused by the woodlice. A photo of the plant and the damage would be quite helpful, I think.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ah, pill bugs and cigarette butts. Thank you kisal.

I would agree any problems with the plant would probably not be attributable to pill bugs.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”