Tanya_NB_4B/5A

tree care

I have a few trees that I planted a few years back that don't seem to be doing so good.

First, I have birch trees that are almost dying. This year, one of them had a main branch die and I had to cut it to the base. I still have half the tree left but it's not as nice.
Second, is the other birch tree that is not growing just barely holding on. It's been like that for 2 years now. It now looks like a branch with a few leaves and seeds.

Finally, I have a crabapple "Prunus dolgo" that was planted 3 or 4 years ago. It's doing ok but not much growth and only 3 to 4 crabapples per year. What am I doing wrong?

The area at the base of each tree is now covered with lawn and weeds. Should I remove the sod or leave it? Will I harm any roots if I do that?

I haven't been fertilizing the trees. They might have gotten some lawn fertilizer around them. What to do?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

How large are these trees? Low grass and weeds around them should not hurt them, although if you stay shallow, it won't hurt to remove them either.
Are they getting enough water? Not knowing what area you are in, it is hard to tell what weather you may be dealing with.
Also, you should check for any sort of pest - ants, etc.
Is there any sign of fungus?
Need more information before assessing what's really going on. :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Birches are famous for borers; got one all their own. Look for tunneling in the leaves...

That should read Malus Dolgo (Prunus is cherries, peaches and plums).

Dolgo is noted for good disease and pest resistance; could just be a lack of pollination. Try to plant some bee attractors around the plant...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335[/url]

Here's another thread on that to get you started...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”