Escapement
Newly Registered

Pruning a weeping cherry?

We have a weeping cherry tree that appears to have gone awry. When we purchased this property last year, the tree was already "coming through the top," so to speak. It's a beautiful tree, but looks out of sorts with all the new growth pushing up—straight up—in the middle.
I have read around and realize that in order to keep the tree weeping I should prune the branches that are forming under the graft—those branches that at this point are growing straight up. But I thought I should ask here first because some of these branches are rather large already (I guess the tree has been growing unchecked for a few years at least). One branch is just over 3 inches in diameter and there are a couple others that are about 1 ½ in. in diam.
I'd love to get rid of all the crazy up-shooting and bring the tree back to its intended beauty, but worry that the branches are so big already. Is it safe (for the tree) to cut these large branches off? Should I do it in phases? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Gary

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

What you should do is cut away the branches that you say are going straight up and then remove any crossing branches to open up the canopy. Yes, you can take away the larger branches but, remove them right to the trunk of the tree so as to not look unsightly.

Escapement
Newly Registered

thanks

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Wrong time of year to prune a cherry. I know this sounds strange but wait until the end of winter to prune it before the tree starts active growth. You're late by a few months but there's always next year. Also too, don't use a sealant on the wounds. Best to leave them open to the air to discourage infection.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Sorry got to disagree with you on that one. Do use Elmer's glue on the cuts. We have a real problem with borers in VA and that will protect the tree until the cuts heal.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Glad you aren't disagreeing with me on the timing of when to prune. It's been a particularly wet spring which means spore production is at peek not to mention everything is in active growth phase right now.

To seal a wound or not to seal a wound, currently there are two sides to the debate and all one can do is choose what one feels is best for their particular situation.

Midwesterners have their fair share of borers too. Nasty critters. Unfortunately, Virginians have more than their fair share of fungal issues.

Prunus spp. aren't exactly carefree regardless of where they are growing.

These are only my personal opinions based on having been forced to remove upwards of 10 cherries and plums- anything that seals off any type of a wound on any tree is a bad thing regardless of whether it is a quasi temporary sealant such as Elmers Glue or one of the "professional" products readily available to consumers. No matter how fast one tries to seal off a wound, fungal spores have already beaten the brush to the bark. Spores are airborne. I believe the best thing anyone can do for a wound is to put their wallet back in their pocket by not purchasing sealants and leave wounds to mother nature to deal with. Once a sealant has been applied, an ideal environment that is protected for spore development has been created. Sun and fresh air are the best fungicides for wounds based on my personal experiences.

Also too, borers in general tend to favor stressed trees, noted exception being Agrilus planipennis. Borers also tend to favor recent wounds (path of least resistance) ... such as those from pruning however if there's a will there's a way and most bark has more than enough fissures and cracks to provide a back door entrance. Stress a tree by pruning it at the wrong time of year and one may very well be asking for big time problems. Best to prune cherries at the end of winter when borers are not active which will better enable a tree's natural defenses to kick in. The wounds of a healthy tree will callous over. It won't happen over night but it will happen.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”