Phil
Newly Registered

Scale insects

My Holly tree is about 18 yrs old and is a lovely tree about 12ft high, it is full of red berries in the winter and everybody comments on how beutiful it looks. But this year in early summer I noticed that the leaves were suddenly turning yellow and falling off, when I looked carefully I saw little scaley insects under the leaves and on some of the stems. I was given a spray to spray it with but they are still there, I can't spray under each leaf as there are hundreds of leaves, and they hurt, even pricking through my gardening gloves.
Can anybody help?

Phil

JPlovesflowers

Phil,
I believe that ladybugs eat scale insects. I have been wanting to get some for aphids on my roses and I have some problems with scales on my azaleas as well. You can also use one of the Bayer systemic fertilizer/insecticides if you are wanting a synthetic solution.
JP

Phil
Newly Registered

Thanks JP
I think I will have to try some sort of synthetic spray as knowing my luck the Ladybugs (Ladybirds in the UK) will fly away

Phil

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Try an appropriate horticultural oil. It can be sprayed on the undersides of the leaves just as easily as any synthetic spray. Could very well be more effective than a pesticide in the long run anyway since you don't know exactly what your foe is.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”