jakuehl
Newly Registered

red bud tree

I'd like to plant a red bud tree in my yard, but looks like they grow to be 20' or taller. Does anyone know if there is a dwarf variety of this tree?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

There should be, dwarf treesare just grafted onto dwarf root stalk. Ask around at your local nurseries.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Cercis canadensis is an excellent choice.

20' would be a low estimate for Cercis canadensis. More like 30' based on specimens I've seen and my bet is they can grow taller than that.

There are several sports of Cercis canadensis available that might be in the height range that will work for you.

'Dwarf White' should attain a height no greater than 10'. There's also a dwarf pink out there but I've never seen it in person before. I do have 'Dwarf White' here and it is a very nice little tree.

Cercis canadensis subsp. canadensis 'Little Woody' shouldn't be any taller than 10' when mature.

There's an 'Ace of Hearts' out there that doesn't get much taller than the 'Dwarf White'. In many ways, I like the 'Ace of Heart' better than the 'Dwarf White'. Wish I had one.

I know there are a few more out there that are about half the height of the straight species. You will need to check into cold hardiness for where you are gardening though. You may have to poke around a little bit but I'm thinking a smaller variety is out there that will work for you.

JC Raulston Arboretum has quite a few specimens. I was in heaven when I found so many because I am a fan of redbuds. Particularly loved the 'Forest Pansy' they were growing.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ta Da!

https://www.plantnames.org/cerc3880.html

And the 'Dwarf Pink' I mentioned appears in the line up. Notice that they provide links to nurseries where you might be able to purchase some of the redbuds.

I also noticed cold hardiness being mentioned but it's easy enough for you to plug the name of the redbud that interests you + the word hardiness or zone into a search engine and see what pops up.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”