Emerald

Crepe Myrtle question

I planted five Crepe Myrtle trees year before last and so far the only growth I get are a few sprouts. For two years I have been doctoring them hoping they would take off but it hasn’t happened. The little sprouts get green leaves and one even had a few flower last year but they only get about a two foot of growth. There doesn't seem to be any fungus on them they simply are not growing. :?

Any advice is welcome.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, as I said before give it some blood meal and maybe some manure.

Also, how much sun is your plant getting Emerald? And how often do you water it?

Any Crepe Myrtle experts out there?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Let me start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about Crepe Myrtles, I've never worked where it was warm enough to grow them. Your "Virginia Mountains" location did, however, set off a faint bell from long ago soils classes. There are pockets of Oxisols, especially at higher elevations, in the Appalachians. As dimly recall recall these are extremely depleted soils with rather unusual soil chemistry including very, very low nutrient reserves and exchange capacity.
I want to emphasize that I am not a soil scientist and this is nothing more than a wild guess but soil testing is a good start for any gardener.

Emerald

Thank you both for your reply.

They are getting full sun. Most of last year I spent most of the time dragging a hose as we had sever dry conditions.

I do agree with the horrible soil. There is a bit of clay and to be honest if you can get a weed to grow its something green so I leave it if it's in the yard. There is so much rock up here you work yourself to death when you try to plant something. The soil is hard to explain. It depends on which part of the yard you are in to what the soil looks like. it's funny that you would mention the Appalachian. Our back yard is the Appalachian. Our property joins the national forest. I am learning with this horrible soil there is much work that needs to be done. The first two years I have spent working with what I have and some of my beds are doing great. That was pure luck that stems back from knowing you have to start right to have beautiful plants. If I had known about the info that has been given to me from this site my work may not have been as hard. Whew!!!~There is still so much that I don't know and I am so glad to have found this place!!!

Thanks again.
:D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”