JohnBK
Newly Registered

Holly bushes failed - any idea why?

Ten years ago we put four Ilex/Steed Japanese Holly bushes in our backyard. They haven't been pruned in years, because we were going for a wild / country look as an antidote to our actual location in New York City. Three of them were lined up to screen off a patio area.
Over the last few years, the three in a row became unwell. Branches lost their leaves. The problem seemed to accelerarte over the last two years. Now, virtually all the branches are bare and seem dead. I don't imagine that the bushes can be saved. Interestingly, the fourth Holly, which sits about ten feet away is mostly OK.

Questions:
Any thoughts about what happened?
What lessons we should keep in mind when we try again?
Do you think trying again with Holly again is a bad idea?

If we go with something else we'd like something dense enough (in time) to screen the patio.
Evergreen would be a bonus. Not boxwood because my wife can't stand their smell!
I have some pictures, but I don't yet see how I'd add them!

Thank you in advance for looking and for any thoughts you care to share.

applestar
Mod

What a bummer!

A couple of thoughts —

1. Have you tested to see if the branches that lost leaves are actually dead? — branches snap easily if bent and feel “hollow” compare to others, bark scratch does not reveal green living layer, etc.
2. If they are not dead, pruning back may still encourage new growths.

Possible causes that spring to mind are
1. Stress — obviously — but maybe
- too close together and grown into each others space,
- changes in surrounding environment trees, buildings, etc. reduced amount of available sun exposure,
- gutter/rainfall or drainage/irrigation changes (including A/C or other household appliances) created excess OR reduced moisture — climate/seasonal changes resulted in less water in fall before the winter hibernation (very important that evergreens get plenty of water in fall),
- also, warmer winters are keeping them more active (needing more water and possibly nutrients)
- leaching from patio/foundation, etc. has changed pH too high

2. Any signs of pests? — especially scale insects or mealybugs type or other sucking bugs that leave sticky residue and possibly invite black sooty mold.

3. Consider also incidental damage due to regular application of herbicides or pesticides or salts or cleaning products in the area.

… off the top of my head … Do any of these seem applicable?

JohnBK
Newly Registered

Thank you for replying @applestar! Good questions...
Indeed almost all of the branches seem to be dead - they snap easily and sharply - as opposed to the few branches with leaves on them, which bend a bit more before breaking, and break a bit less "crisply". Also, just as you suggested, the ones with leaves also have the green living layer under the bark. I can't believe that I'm as old as I am and just learned that. And there are no signs of pests that this amateur can see.
The bushes are right next to a low concrete wall and attached concrete pad patio. The patio surely prevents the roots from finding water on that one whole side of the bushes. I don't know about the pH of the soil. Can you recommend a way to test for pH? - a specific product or brand? Years ago I used a test "kit", consisting of some vials and test chemicals.
As for some of your other questions -
They are planted close to each other (maybe 2.5 feet apart) because our goal was a "screen". Considering that we wanted them to grow to be large/tall (7 feet plus) was that too close together?
One thing that isn't a problem is herbicides and pesticides. I'm my mother's son, and she became a BioDynamic organic gardener back in the 1970's!
As for pruning the Hollies that are still alive, I believe that I should (a) cut away all dead material, and (b) cut back to a bud or branch. Any further thoughts or resources for pruning Holly?
Sorry about this blast of back-to-basics questions. I really appreciate any advice you can give!

Jon

JohnBK
Newly Registered

Also - are holly bushes particularly thirsty plants? Since they count as evergreens (?) I hear your suggestion to be especially generous in the fall!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”