savemyvine
Newly Registered

SOS - reviving a virginia creeper

my apartment building's 20+ year old virginia creeper was cut at the stem without anyone being consulted by some contractors working on the brick. it was about 30 feet tall, older than me, and one of the greatest joys in my life was to watch it bloom and turn red in fall. when I look out my window now, its like my home is covered in a carcass.

this is a long shot, but is there any way to revive it? I've heard that you can from a clipping when its blooming. I'm not sure how long its been cut off for - at least a couple weeks, judging by how other vines have already bloomed around us. I just recently figured out why ours was lagging behind.

if not, any thoughts on the fastest growing vines in the st. lawrence lowlands region? we get cold winters.

please offer advice and/or condolences!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I did not think that one could easily kill Virginia creeper. It is a weed here in SC.

applestar
Mod

Ooh this is a tough one — not the reviving part of the question — but the dilemma presented.

Even though you had enjoyed the lovely aspects of the Virginia creeper, I think any brick contractor would have strongly recommended taking down the vine. Particularly sucker-rooted type like Virginia creeper. They would inexorably work their way into the mortar and crumble and deteriorate the strength of the joints. Shade and dampness encourages moss and other growths, etc.

And then, ivy would obscure and get in the way of work needed for any mortar joints that needed repair.

…I’m reminded of the recent brick building collapse in the news, which has been blamed in part on painted bricks — or in other words, mismanaged and malpractice in maintenance of the brick structure…

All that said, I’m fond of Virginia creeper too, and allow them to grow wherever feasible around the property, including parts of the fence, or occasionally curling their way through benches, etc. garden structures.

Those flowers turn into berries that feed birds and wildlife, and then they “plant” seeds everywhere. So new vines pop up in unexpected places.

BUT I draw the line at allowing them to climb my house. Mine is not as aesthetically pleasing as a brick structure, but the vines will still manage to sucker their roots onto the siding and climb up, eventually finding the corner rain-gutter downspouts and speeding their way toward the roof!

Now, UNLESS the contractors painted the cut end of the main vine with an herbicide to kill off the roots, I’ve no doubt the vine will pop up new growths either from the stump or from other parts of the root system.

You might ask the apartment owner if they might build an arch trellis, arbor, arched tunnel, gazebo, etc. for the vines to grow on. Or if the other tenants are similarly inclined, maybe you could put together a funding campaign.

If the original vine is indeed killed, like I mentioned, new seedlings and plants are probably growing in the area, and you might with permission dig one or more up to transplant. (Believe me, there are bound to be home owners and gardeners in the area that would be perfectly happy to have you take them away.)

In addition to the lovely fall colors and winter hardiness, I enjoy Virginia creepers for their wildlife and bird food and habitat values. I sometimes find Virginia creeper sphinx moth caterpillars. Wrens and other birds often burrow among the leaves — probably looking for spiders and other bugs. Birds sometimes nest in the tangled heavier vines.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Being a weed here as well, we cut out Virginia Creeper before they take over the world. Lots of invasive plants can have wonderous beauty if contained properly. One place we lived I cultivated Trumpet Vine to be a living wall at the end of an open porch. After we moved and years later drove past the old place, that Trumpet Vine had engulfed to entire side of the house. The new owners I am sure were cursing at me.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”