flowergirl

bonfire patio peach / bonfire 'genetic' dwarf peach

At the entrance to our local fast-food restaurant they have these beautiful trees that are covered with pink blooms, just blooms no leaves....and I mean 'covered' in the early spring. Then when they fall off, georgeous deep red/burgundy, long leaves emerge. They are spectacular. So, as we drove by one them one day, I say to my husband, 'pick one of the leaves off that tree as I drive by'....of couse he looked at me like I was crazy, but he did as I asked. Needless to say, we both looked from side to side to see if anyone was watching. Theives in broad daylight :lol: So, off we go to our local store to search for this leave and the tree it lives on......and bycrackie, we found it....Well, we finally bought one of these ornamental peach trees several days ago. Then we decided we'd like another one....Now herein lies the problem and my question (I know, it's a rather lenghtly intro) In looking more closely to the tags on the trees....one says 'bonfire patio peach' and the other says 'bonfire genetic dwarf peach. The genetic grows somewhat larger (8'-10' X 10') than the other one (5' X 5'). Also genetic grows 'fast', other one 'medium'. Spacing on genetic is 10', other 5'.
My question is.....should I keep them both and plan on agressively pruning the genetic to keep them pretty much the same, since I'm putting them on either side of my porch steps......? Or should I return the 'genetic' one and get the same as the 'other'..... thanx for any info...

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I'm not familiar with this tree but I am all too familiar with nursery tags which tend to have more misinformation than accurate information. I would go back to the nursery you bought the trees from and ask them. It is possible that one tree is grafted and one is on its own roots. Can you post a photo of the lower trunks?

flowergirl

We just put them in the ground yesterday. I decided to go ahead and keep them both. Since our house sits on land that is slope-y :? , we put the one that MAY get bigger on the downslide, so IF it really does get much larger, it may not look so out of place and maybe lend a sense of 'balance'....
I don't have an extra minute to snap a foto right now. But, will try tomorrow....
Thanx for your input, appreciate it.

Debidew
Newly Registered

We moved into our house 3 years ago. The previous owners had landscaped around our porch and gazebo. There was a "bush" that I've been trying to figure out what it is. I went to Lowes and found one and it was the Bonfire Patio Peach. The problem is that my plant has never "bloomed" that I am aware of. It grows like wildfire and I have to keep it trimmed all the time and the leaves turn a unique dark red. Does anyone have any ideas on why I have no blooms and if I need to start trimming as a tree specimen instead of a bush. It's really not in the right place if it was treated like a tree so then that brings the issue of transplanting. It gets full sun because it is planted on the south side of the house. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I've been to several nurseries with leaf samples and none could tell me what it was and then I always look at Lowes etc. when I'm in there and low and behold found a plant this spring finally.

RickNC

We bought one of the bonfire patio peaches. I believe it is a dwarf. It has frut on it. We put it in a pot. Can these be placed in the ground? It is supposed to get about 5'. Wonder if we should bring it in in the winter? Our winters are fairly mild.

Debidew
Newly Registered

I figured out the "bush" next to our porch was a dward patio peach. So, I decided to let it grow to see what would happen. Right now, it is about 6 foot tall, green leafed and still growing. Actually, its invading the other plants around it.

Anyone wanting to plant one of these might consider away from the house and your other plantings. Evidently the previous owners planted it right up next to our gazebo and it grows so fast and bush it blocks our view of the fields. Not sure what I'm going to do about it. Hate to cut it down but it sure never "bloomed" or the leaves turn redish purple.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”