lilcee

Problem with Azaleas

We planted some azaleas this past Summer. They were doing really good, nice and green. Now they are losing their leaves and look like they are dying. We live in Zone 9 - North FL. Is it normal for new bushes to lose their leaves in the Fall? We've been keeping them watered. Are we watering too much? I'm adding some pics.
Hope someone can help, we hate to lose all our plants.
Thank you
Attachments
bush4.jpg
bush3.jpg
bush2.jpg
bush.jpg

applestar
Mod

I’m not positive but I think I see some clusters of tiny white dots. If so, this is an indication of sucking pests.

I don’t know what you have in your area, but typical pests I can think of are mites, whiteflies, and azalea lacebugs… also mealybugs and scale insects.

Inspect under side of leaves and leaf nodes.

There are frost intolerant azaleas commonly called Indian Azalea, often sold as gift plants, which won’t survive the winter in my area, but this probably isn’t the issue for you.

imafan26
Mod

It looks like maybe snow scale? The plant is in distress. I don't know if it is going to make it. If you live in Florida, how far do you live from the ocean and do you have sandy soil? If the soil is alkaline, the azalea won't be happy. It also does not tolerate water logging or poor drainage. The snow scale can be hosed off with a strong jet of water. The plant is small, so you can use a toothbrush or cotton swab to basically gently scrub off the scale. You will have to do this repeatedly. Scale can multiply very quickly and it is hard to get all of them in one sitting. You can use a horticultural oil to suffocate them.

Azaleas are related to rhododendrons and in the tropics I can grow azaleas and tropical rhodies, but not the North American Rhodies. Still azaleas don't really like heat. They grow best in the cooler parts of the tropics and not in the desert.

They are acid loving plants and will not thrive in alkaline or sodic soil (it is not salt tolerant). It also does not tolerate pollution. So, it is not a good street or parking lot plant.

Azaleas don't normally lose leaves for me in the tropics. I live around 600 ft elevation and it is the cooler part of the island, about 8-10 miles from the ocean. There is no getting away from salt air on an island, but I don't get salt spray or brackish water on the central plain between two extinct volcanoes. My soil is very acidic with a pH of 6.2. Azaleas need the same kind of care as gardenia. So, it needs an acidic soil with even moisture. I have a sloping front yard. Azaleas don't like wet feet. They do better planted on the east side of the house where they get morning sun and afternoon shade. I also have taller plants around it. Like gardenia, azaleas are under story plants and benefit from the protection from wind, dust, and get sun protection at the hottest time of the day. The taller shrubs and trees allow for dappled light. There is enough light for the grass to grow under the shrubs. I feed it with a citrus fertilizer when it puts out new leaves.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/azalea-care/

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”