PRNDL
Newly Registered

Leyland Cypress hedge Florida

Good morning all. New to the forum.

I was hoping you could help me.

I have 8 Leyland Cypress' in the form of a hedge that are all about 5 years old and 7 feet high. They have been growing and doing very well until last years. They started turning brown on one side only where the sun faces them the most. The ones closest to the sunrise the worse. They get shade from a 3 year old oak in the evening. I'm in Central Florida. Heavy rain season just ended. Rained almost every day for over a month. The 4 Leyland closest to the are in sun worse condition and are on a low laying spot that I think was waterlogged through the rainy season and not shaded. Not sure what is going on. This happened exactly at the same time last year, but they recovered. Long after the rainy season and after the summer was over. Now it's starting again. Not sure if they had received too much water or now not enough. I have that sprinkler zone give them 1/2 of water once a week. I treated for bagworm in June just in case. Not sure what to do. They look perfect on the shaded side. Looking up at the sky, the hedge runs from east to west but the sun stays on the south side of the heads. Meaning the north side never gets direct sun and is in perfect condition. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Paul

PRNDL
Newly Registered

The site won’t allow me to upload photos for some reason. It tells me the file is too large. Any advice.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have had some luck with emailing pictures to myself and then re-downloading them. Sometimes during the download there is a pop-up that allows me to choose general file size, SMALL, MEDIUM, etc I don’t know why, but this feature is inconsistent for me. Just re-downloading pictures usually reduces the size enough so that they load better. There might be some other ideas, but this is how I do it.

PRNDL
Newly Registered

284A536B-B315-46BD-8A67-3C9BA33D15EB.jpeg
284A536B-B315-46BD-8A67-3C9BA33D15EB.jpeg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
5F8E0E41-4153-4A22-9640-42DA96133294.jpeg
5F8E0E41-4153-4A22-9640-42DA96133294.jpeg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

PRNDL
Newly Registered

Worked! Thank you!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am not a Leyland Cypress expert. I just love trees. I have about 25 arborvitaes and have learned some things from my efforts to take good care of them.
I planted 2 Leyland Cypress trees in the Spring of this year. One is about 6’ tall and the other is about 2’ tall. They have grown quite a bit in just a few months time. I want to learn as much as possible about them so that I give them good care.
I found a reputable reference for common diseases that affect Leyland Cypress trees. I want to share it here because it has some good pictures and descriptions.

Here is a link. I hope it works.
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/leyl ... ted-pests/

PRNDL
Newly Registered

Thank you! I will review the info.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”