JohnBK
Newly Registered

Brooklyn Backyard Trees In Planters - Questions

I have two trees in my backyard in Brooklyn, New York - a Stewartia Pseudocamellia, and a Japanese Umbrella Pine. They've grown, and I have questions...
Should I get larger planters?
Should I prune them so they aren't too large for their current planters?
Both?
If pruning is called for, is this a good time for that? (March 2nd, 31 degrees).
I would prefer that both not grow as large as they can "in the wild" - is that an argument for keeping them in modest size pots?
Your thoughts? Here are some pictures -
(the pics appear rotated, but display properly when clicked on)
IMG_3714.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3715.JPG

Thank you!

applestar
Mod

I can’t give you the exact answers because I lack experience, but intuitively, I think you will need to adopt large bonsai techniques if you want to keep growing them in pots/containers.

This would involve
- root pruning — which I believe needs to be done now or very soon while the trees are in their winter rest phase — I’m thinking probably while temperatures are still in the 30’s to low 40’s but not freezing — I don’t know for sure.
- when repotting, follow the related growing media guidelines

- branch pruning and overall shaping — which should not be done while the wood is frozen as far as I know — general rule of pruning I follow is "never prune frozen wood" — I usually take this to mean wait until over night temp only hovers around freezing and Wait until afternoon when daytime temp is at around 40~45° F or so — pruning should be done while still dormant or just as the leaf and/or flower buds are unfurling (except stone fruit trees)

...note that My personal air temp guideline I go by for branch pruning is related to my own comfort and difficulty maneuvering while wearing too much outer layers and gloves, etc., too...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”