bflocat

When to Trim Bushes?

We have an unidentified bush growing outside our picture window. It's about 5' - 5.5' tall with a couple thick, spindly "trunks" at the bottom and a large, full green-leaved top that starts about 3' up. The leaves just came out this past weekend, and now it blocks a large portion of the view onto our property. We'd really like to trim it by about 12", but we don't want to kill it. I've read a lot of conflicting (and confusing) information about when to trim bushes, but I'm wondering if anyone with experience with bushes can give me an idea of whether or not we should go ahead and trim this guy down.

Thanks!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Could you post a photo? That description isn't giving me much to work with.

Generally speaking you can trim most broad leaf deciduous shrubs that much with any serious risk of killing it, BUT, this is an important qualifier, you may generate a considerable amount of waterspout growth that will create a new problem.

Personally, I would not do anything until you have accurately identified what you are dealing with. Depending on what it is you might be able to move it even fully leafed out. Whatever you do please don't take a hedge clipper and just lop it off a foot lower.

bflocat

Hi MaineDesigner,

I will try to get some photos to post, but could you explain why we shouldn't just chop off the top part? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if it would kill the bush or if it would just be unpalatable to most gardeners or if it's because we should individually snip each branch to cut it down to size.

We probably won't move it, to be honest. We are overwhelmed enough by the rest of our totally unruly 2 acre yard. [We just ripped out an entire row of bushes and it just about killed us - and this bush looks to be quite well established, as well.] My husband wants to chop it down altogether, since it's really blocking the view and it's kind of unattractive, in his opinion. So our options may chopping off the top or chopping it down altogether.

Thanks for all your help!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Well, this is a sensitive subject for me since part of what I do for a living is pruning and I see way too many butchered trees and shrubs.
If you don't make your cuts immediately above a node you are leaving dead stubs which provide a pathway for insects and disease. Most cuts I see were also done with dull tools which exacerbates this problem. Depending on what the shrub is just whacking it back may adversely effect the nature of future growth, a good pruner is looking at every cut with an eye toward both plant health and long term aesthetics.
If it is something like a bush honeysuckle (probably the second or third most common shrub around old farmhouses in the northeast) which is an invasive exotic please do rip it out. I wouldn't weep to see a common lilac (Syringa vulgaris - probably the most common shrub) bite the dust either. However, if it is something nice like a viburnum it is worth moving and it would be a shame to just butcher it in the name of expediency.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Cass Turnbull is a great source for pruning information. I highly recommend her book Cass Turnbull's Guide to Pruning and her website, Plant Amnesty [url]https://www.plantamnesty.org/index.html[/url].
She does work in the Pacific Northwest so sometimes her advice isn't quite spot-on for cold climates but generally she is an excellent source.

bflocat

Okay, I'm finally back with pictures of the bush.

Here is the bush:
[img]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/bflocat/CIMG0101.jpg[/img]

and a close-up of the leaves:
[img]https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/bflocat/CIMG0102.jpg[/img]

Is there anyway we could trim down to below the edge of the window without killing it? I'm afraid since that's where all the leaves are, it wouldn't make it.

Thanks for any input!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You have Euonymus alatus aka Winged Euonymus or Burning Bush. In much of the U.S. this shrub is now considered an invasive exotic. My recommendation would be to remove it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”