TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Azalea disease?

Hello all! This Azalea bush belongs to my mother. It's several years old and is planted along her front porch close to a gutter. It receives the afternoon and evening sun. As of now it has a couple of blooms on it. It was last fertilized a couple of weeks ago. She asked me to post the bush for her because it looks like something could be wrong with it. I know nothing whatsoever about bushes, so I'm hoping someone can help?
Attachments
IMG_20200309_123158.jpg
IMG_20200309_123204.jpg

applestar
Mod

Azalea is susceptible to attacks by several sucking pests. Check undersides of the affected leaves (with magnification if necessary) and below affected branches for ants and sticky honeydew (expelled by the sucking pests), and black sooty mold that grow on it.

imafan26
Mod

There could be multiple problems with sucking pests as well as bacterial or fungal disease. There are a lot of necrotic areas along the main veins and between veins on many leaves. The plant being near a downspout may also be an issue if there has been a lot of rain. It would contribute to bacterial and fungal diseases and may cause root issues weakening the plant.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Yes, we've gotten too much excess rain in this area, and more and more rain is predicted in the future forecast. :( I've mentioned to her before that her Azalea probably doesn't like being so close to the gutter but it's not like it can be moved now. Fungal disease was one my thoughts to. When I get the chance, I'll examine the bush myself and maybe pluck a few leaves off to look at under my microscope.

Another issue is that she has told me is that at times, she will smell skunk around the bush. She has read that skunks aren't attracted to Azaleas, so if it's not an actual skunk, does that confirm it could be fungal disease? Is there anything I can recommend to my mother that she can spray on the bush?

applestar
Mod

Actually, what occurred to me is that a neighborhood Tom cat might be spraying it. The direct hit from the urine could affect the plant?

Look for any stressors, too.

My a azaleas are at the base of the downspout for continuous/extended moisture in the event of drought, but are planted on raised mounds for good rootzone drainage since azaleas are shallow-rooted. They are on the northeast corner since they can’t take the direct mid-day sun. Of course mine are northern azaleas — we can’t grow azaleas that are not winter hardy. Zone 8+ azaleas might have different requirements.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sadly yes, there is a wild cat that wanders around here. Don't know if it's a male or female though but now that I think about it, I recall smelling cat urine around when I was taking photos of the bush.

How does one repel a wild cat when there are so many mice that attract it? And the mice cannot be eliminated as traps don't always work the mice eat the bait without setting off the trap and spray repellents DO NOT work.

imafan26
Mod

You can help the azalea when it rains too much if it is possible to attach a diverter to the drainspout to direct water away from it.

There are a few things to do to discourage the cat. You can put up a barrier around the plant, make the ground around the plant less friendly. I have seen a plastic mat with spikes advertised, but I used orange temporary fencing and it did help. Another way that works, but you need to be persistent is to eat a lot of citrus. Spread citrus peels around the plant. Cats do not like the smell of citrus and it is a humane way of shooing them away. You will have to replenish the citrus peels often. I think it works in a few ways. 1) cats don't like the smell 2) Your are peeling the citrus with your hands and spreading your scent around the area with the peels. 3) Cats are secretive and they are prey animals, not just predators, so they don't hang around where they don't feel safe. When you put out new peels and more scent often, you are claiming the area.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”