HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

overwintering of lilac starts

I have about 10 lilac starts that I just dug up from around my big mama lilac tree. The starts are currently in pots outside. I intend to plant them or
give them away to friends next spring. The plan is to bring these potted starts indoors for the winter so that they don't freeze. My question is: do they need light through the winter? I have one indoor location that would work except that the room has no windows and is rather dark. The other location is near a window so the starts would have plenty of light there. The darker location would work better for me because it is out of the way and would have less impact on my indoor living space.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I think they'd do better outside over the winter, freezing and all. if you're really worried about roots freezing, dig holes for the pots and mulch over the top. they need their down-time.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thanks. I have been moving things around today to make some room for the lilacs starts. They will be outdoors on the porch most of the time. When the temps dip down below freezing, I will be able to easily scoot them inside. I have a dolly that will help with moving them. Some of the pots are heavy. The indoor area is cold, so I think this plan will work.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”