FLMOM
Newly Registered

Sago Palms

What is the best method for transplanting sago palm pups? I have a massive sago (queen) palm in my back yard that has SEVERAL pups. I have transplanted a couple into pots and they were doing great until recently. They are starting to yellow. What is the best method/timing for transplanting?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Wait until the weather is cooler. As a general rule in FL, don't do anything other than water during July and August (don't even fertilize, everything will fry), and don't take cuttings or move plants until the end of October if the weather has started to cool (or if you are in N. FL). I often waited until Mid-November to take cuttings or move plants. The heat is just too intense this time of year for the plants to take under the added stress of moving.

November -April is a good time to move plants or take cuttings. Of course, if a freeze is expected, get those tender plants indoors!

Florida and fertilizing is a fun thing to keep balanced. With the sandy soil everything you add just drips into the aquifer every time it rains. I fertilized general plants once a month, more for tomatoes and heavy feeders I was trying to push before the weather either got too cold or too hot and killed them. But I didn't fertilize things in pots much, especially in the hottest weather. If your plants really need a boost give them a gentler 6-6-6 and water it in well.

FLMOM
Newly Registered

Thank you Grey...I really appreciate your advise. I will wait it out...

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hard isn't it? I hated the hottest months in FL because I couldn't go outside it was so HOT! I just watered in the evenings before dark. So my houseplants got a lot of extra attention during those months. :D

Whereabouts in FL are you?

FLMOM
Newly Registered

Jacksonville. And yes...it has been REALLY hot here the past few weeks...

Grey
Greener Thumb

My brother lives in St. Augustine. He says the same.

At least as far north as you are you can probably start fertilizing again in September, and you may be able to move the pups in October. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Grey!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”