Krieghoffou
Newly Registered

Replacement Shrub Suggestions

I am in the process of replacing 16 Cotoneaster Lucidus shrubs that I have been experiencing numerous dead branches over the last several years. These shrubs are approximately 15-20 years old & are 8'-10' tall. I feel that they may have reached the end of their life span, & need to be replaced. I am looking for suggestions on what shrub would give me moderate growth, eventual privacy, & normal maintenance. I am in the Chicago, IL growing area. I am probably looking at a very expensive replacement cost & would like to make sure the replacements would be suitable! Thanks!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Azalea?

applestar
Mod

So are you LOOKING for shrubs that will grow to max height of 8-10 ft tall and (presumably) wide? X 16 .... Are we talking nearly 100 ft of space? Or were they tightly spaced, growing as a hedge? Trimmed to what kind of dimensions and shape? (Maybe a picture would help)

Do you really want another series of same shrub exactly like that, or are you also considering other designs? How quickly do you want them to grow in?

Did the cotoneaster serve other purposes like haven for nesting birds? Is it the kind that makes red fruits? (I forgot to look it up and I’m on my iPhone right now — too tedious to search). — I tend to preferentially think in terms of native plants with wildlife values so I need some specifics to re-direct/focus if intended purpose is different....

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”