mike41
Newly Registered

Tiny Towers Suffering

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand what is happening to these tiny towers (mini cypress). It started at the top of the driveway, and slowly has worked its way downhill. First the top tree started slowly browning. I thought perhaps gophers, or lack of water. Sometimes the drip gives less water towards the top of the hill. Though I thought theyve been getting plenty (perhaps not?). Ive been soaking them regularly since I saw the browning.

Then the top tree died, then the same thing began to happen to the next tree down, until that one died. Now it is happening to the next trees down in order. The browning begins on the sun facing side of the tree, southwest (ish). The northeast(ish) side of the trees get more shade because of a large olive tree next to them. Spending about the first half of the day in shade.

Now, I don't know if its a fungus, pest spreading problem, gopher, or water issue?

The house is located in Alpine CA, 91901 (east San Diego county). About climate zone 9b-10a.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

These trees are expensive to replace! Thank you for your thoughtful input.
Attachments
rps20180821_104357_464.jpg
rps20180821_104451_114.jpg
rps20180821_104509_521.jpg
rps20180821_104532_083.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I don't know for sure if this is the problem but something to consider is the effect of the concrete. Concrete leaches calcium carbonate into the surrounding soil and raises the pH of the soil. Some plants located close to concrete can be adversely affected by the higher pH of the soil caused by the leaching concrete. The correct soil pH is important for the plant to get the nutrients that it needs. Stunted growth, discoloration or death are some of the symptoms. You could take a soil sample and have the pH tested and then compare the results to what your plant needs.

applestar
Mod

Well, another question that comes to my mind is — how are you keeping that long stretch along the driveway edge and surrounding mulched area for that matter so completely weed free? Do you take care of the maintenance yourself so you know exactly how and what are being used?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The black stuff. I suppose that is just edging?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”