SRT10
Newly Registered

Red Maple Issues - 1.5 Years old

This was originally a quick home project with my 7 year old. We took a key from our Neighbours Red Maple (originally just the builders tree planted years ago now about 25+ feet high) and planted the seed to grow. It seems to have stunted itself and hasn't really grown in height or trunk size this year. It did start off growing lots of small branches with leaves but as you can see by this picture the leaves have started going bad. It sits on our front porch and gets sun probably 3/4 of the day. My son only waters this every 3rd day maybe because the soil seems to hold moisture fairly well. Tree care I really have no idea about but my son and I put a lot of work into this and I don't want to lose it, we have a spot picked out already at his cousins house where a nice Red coloured maple will sit.
Any suggestions as to the leaf damage and proper care for this would be sincerely appreciated.
Attachments
Red Maple3.jpg
Red Maple2.jpg
Red Maple.jpg

Travellar

I've got a couple of those myself, fun to grow a maple I a pot.
I don't know enough to be sure form the pics, but I think those brown spots may be a touch of sunburn. Some mid-day shade may help, but as there are plenty of other healthy leaves, the tree itself may me alright.

Water could be an issue, especially for a small tree in a pot mid-summer. You may want to up the water till it cools off in mid-autum. From what I've read on the bonsai forum, you should be able to pour about a gallon of water into that pot, and let it drain out through the hole in the bottum of the pot. Repeat in an hour.

(Also, Miracle grow works wonders on small trees!)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”