Chrissy_MN
Newly Registered

Help Identify "shrub"

Hi I'm new here and hoping to become a little more educated about the trees and plants in our yard. I've been doing some spring pruning and came across a sad looking "shrub"/tree (I'm not sure which) in our backyard.
I don't have a picture of it at it's current state (i will try to get one tomorrow) but do have a somewhat decent one of it two summers ago.

[img]https://www.themalmquists.com/pics/shrub.jpg[/img]

the needles are surprisingly soft to the touch, not prickly at all and I don't recall it having any odor.

I've done some searching and think it's possibly a [url=https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/shrubs/picea_abies-nidiformis.html]Nidiformis - Birds nest spruce[/url] but I know not much about Horticulture so I really can't be sure.
Anyway currently it is brown all in the center and towards the back and I am very concerned for it's future :cry:
It hasn't been trimmed since we bought the house (2 years ago) but it was healthy looking before winter.

Any ideas what species it might be? and what the possible ailment is? Like I said I will try and get a picture tomorrow I was just hoping for some info in advance.

Thanks in advance!

sean117Ply
Cool Member

Mostly all dense plants/shrubs such as cypresse's, spruce's, conifer's start to brown inside because the light is unable to penitrate the dense foliage on the outside to the foliage inside, so it dies off. It would be a good idea to give it a trim to keep it nice and dense/compact. It looks like a spruce to me from what I can see in the pic but as for the species, I don't know, but it looks great. And allso shrubby plants tend to brown through the winter but usually green up during spring.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

It would help if you could get more of a close-up view but I'm 80% certain that is a yew (Taxus x media probably). Your comment about "soft to touch" strongly suggests it. Spruce tend to be prickly. Why do you think it is sad looking?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”