msginny
Newly Registered

Is this wisteria ?

We just moved in and had to remove a wisteria. Is this a chip off the old block?
Attachments
Is this a wisteria ?
Is this a wisteria ?
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not wisteria.

But I think it may be another very aggressive vine -- trumpet creeper.

Trumpet creeper has a lot of pros: flowers that hummingbirds like, seeds that stay on most of the winter and feed the finches when there's little else, great coverage to hide stuff (but it is deciduous) and unlike wisteria it is native.

BUT it does grow rampantly and the vines get very big and heavy. I made the mistake of planting one to grow up the downspout on our house. (It was a cute little baby when I planted it) :) It took two or three years to get well established and then it just took off and soon was threatening to swallow up our three story house. It clings by suckers which are damaging to whatever surface they attach to. And it will bring down trellis or fencing that isn't sturdy enough.

It also pops up all kinds of other places in the yard. Ours was in the back yard, but we got volunteers all over, including the front yard. I don't think roots could go under the house like that, so I'm thinking birds must poop out the seeds.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”