treesofwood
Newly Registered

Jasminum polyanthum climber

I have attached to this post a few pictures that I have taken of the Jasminum polyanthum plant growing in our yard that I suspect is in need of some attention. I don’t know how to make head or tail from it as I don’t have much of an idea about gardening. It was planted about four years ago, and flowers in the spring. We have put some supports to help it climb, but that’s about all.

It is late winter and a few days ago I noticed there is discolouration (pale greens and yellows) on the plants leaves and stalks that I'm not sure what it is caused from. I also noticed that there is spots on the leaves and stalks.

It has also been frost bitten, turning some of the stalks and leaves brown and dry that when touched crumble. As far as I know Jasmine plant is not like a fruit tree in that their leaves do not change colour or fall off with the coming of autumn. That said I have noticed what I think is new growth coming from the plant.

I do have plans for the jasmine plant. I want to train it to climb to a lattice structure (against a fence) to support its development. At the moment there seems to be too many stems that are not consistent in length thoughout the one stalk, I'm not sure what to put on the lattice structure and what not to.

On another jasmine plant we have, there are stalks developing in-front of the plant, how do you place them against the lattice structure towards the back of the plant without bending the stalk?

What about keeping the climber to a specific height. Where (or are you supposed to) cut? Can you do this at any time of the year? Can you remove healthy green growth even in season? Does it flower more than once a season because I heard you prune the jasmine once it has flowered. Should I prune it each “cycle” of flowering or should I wait until the summer ends? What about cutting the stems from the previous season? (it has not been pruned before) I don’t want to take too much off and at the wrong time of the year and end up exposing the tree too much?

Also, how much space around the plant’s base at ground level should it have? Can there be any other plants in the same vicinity? I'm trying to remove some weeds around it, but there are other roots there of plants/weeds I cannot identify that I seem to be digging up also.
What condition should the soil be? The soil around the jasmine is partially dry and hard to dig and partially moist and soft.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
Discolouration of unknown causes
Discolouration of unknown causes
Some greenery
Some greenery
More spots
More spots
Discolouration on leaves and vines (unknown causes)
Discolouration on leaves and vines (unknown causes)
Spots at ends of leaves (unknown causes)
Spots at ends of leaves (unknown causes)
Brown spots on vines, discolouration
Brown spots on vines, discolouration
Dry leaves
Dry leaves
Long vines
Long vines

imafan26
Mod

fertilizer for the yellow leaves
Spots are more likely to be from fungal or barcterial disease
Cut back the vines to open it up for more air circulation
I suspect the vines have been there a while and the roots are all over the place which is why you have hard soil in places. You could cut back every thing. Lift and renew the soil with some organic matter. That would be workout. I would still thin the vines but add compost every year an inch or two and let the soil organisms pull it down. .

treesofwood
Newly Registered

don't you need to add the fertilizer before planting not after?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to add fertilizer/ nutrients regularly through the life of the plant. The soil gets depleted of nutrients if not replenished.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”