Smallgardener

Sycamore Tree - Leaves Yellow After Watering

I have a sycamore tree that I planted 4 years ago. I scraped off the sod and planted it at ground level. Now it seems to low and I am afraid the tree will suffer from this. I notice when I water it some leaves turn yellow and fall off. But new ones replace them. Or am I seeing some disease showing up? What can be done to help if I planted the tree too deep? The tree was a twig off eBay. Now it is 12 feet tall.

Smallgardener

IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG

thanrose
Greener Thumb

It's possible that it's too deep, but not by much. Sycamores are pretty adaptable, and you have the ring around the tree cleared. Just don't let that ring area fill up with weeds or deep mulch. Do you see water puddle there for very long after a rain? That could present problems, but these trees love water and suck it up with their roots. The yellowing does not appear to be from too much water or from planting too deep. If anything the leaf yellowing in the interior of the tree, as in the oldest leaf on that newest growth, is probably from too little water at some time.

jeff84

if your summer is going anything like mine, its probably just a little heat stressed. it will be fine

Smallgardener

I treated it about two weeks ago for what looked like chinch bugs. The heat has been intense. But I sware the yellow leaves show up after I water. I would like to take the ring off and let the grass grow.

applestar
Mod

I think if anything, you should widen the "ring" -- no grass, mulched area -- to the tree's dripline. Grass steal the water and nutrients, allow moisture to remain around the bark/base allowing fungi and bugs access.

Smallgardener

I just looked up the pest that was on my Sycamore. It turns out to a Lace bug. Anyway I killed them. Would it be a good idea to treat for fungi?

jeff84

when I was out and about today, I noticed pretty much all other than the most mature sycamore trees have the same yellowing. I stick by my earlier statement that its just heat stress and there isn't much you can do short of building an air conditioned enclosure around it. or shade cloth would be more practical

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Part of the yellowing is normal. What happens is that the larger leaves shade the smaller ones. The smaller ones die from lack of light.
Have you treated your lawn with herbicides? Sycamores are terribly sensitive to herbicides.
Lace bugs will eat some leaves but usually not enough to damage the tree. I've got them on my tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”