gboudreau
Newly Registered

How to help our very tall hedges grow thicker

We have about 50 meters (165') of hedges between our row of townhouses, and the row behind us.
Depending on the trees around it, it is between 10-12' in height, approximately.

You can see it on Google Maps here, and in the attached pictures.

Our problem with those hedges is that they are getting more and more sparse; we see more and more through it, every year.

We had very different opinions on what we should do with them, to help them grow thicker.
Should we cut their head, maybe to something like 8-9', and give them enough earth+compost+fertilizer?
We were told by some people that those kind of trees should not have been left to grow this tall, but that if we cut their head too much, they're going to die. Others are saying it's fine to cut their head as much as 3-4', as long as it's done in the autumn or spring.

Ideas?

Thanks.

- Guillaume
Attachments
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_20170618_095004.jpg
Cèdres SQM 9-10 Birds-eyes-view Marked.jpg
Cèdres SQM 9-10 Birds-eyes-view.jpg
Cèdres SQM 9-10.jpg

applestar
Mod

I'm not an expert on these kind of plantings, but intuitively, it seems to me the problem is more that these shrubs were planted too close. Maybe the intention was to remove every other one as they grew? They look like they are competing for space, light and nutrients.

Also, where those brown patches are, is there any sign of disease or pests? Closely planted like this, problems could spread easily from one to the other.

Do you know exactly what the shrubs are?

jeff84

I'm afraid that the bottoms will not regrow foliage. only the growing tips will grow new. and at this point they are up higher on the plant. I would suggest planting another row in front of or behind the current one only in the places that are getting sparse. eventually removing the older plant. or allow what looks to be a secondary row grow taller

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”