lilcee

What's wrong with my sweet gum tree?

My husband and I recently transplanted a sweet gum tree (we believe that is what it is). The leaves are all turning a redish/orange color. I know they change color in the Fall but this is July. Is this normal for a transplanted tree or is there something wrong with it?
Attachments
sweetgum tree3.jpg
sweetgum tree2.jpg
sweetgum tree.jpg

thanrose
Greener Thumb

No problems that I see. That is definitely sweet gum, Liquidambar styraciflua. The color to the leaves happens. I'd speculate it's some sort of stress, in your case transplanting. In Florida. In summer. But mine will do it too, perhaps with slight drought. While I love these trees, you do know that the spiny globose hard seed pods will eventually litter the lawn, and the sap is very sticky? So if it's near a walk or driveway you might want to rethink the placement. I have a cracker lawn, and I've loved these odd little balls since I was very young. They don't bother me and the squirrels like them.

BTW, I transplant in Florida year round too. What's life without challenges, eh?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Oh yeah, and fall color is actually more yellow gold than orange or red. Makes a nice contrast with our red maples.

lilcee

Thank you for your response. I feel better now knowing that it's normal. Yeah, we know about the balls. We have other sweet gum trees mixed in with other trees along our back yard but haven't had any problems with the balls. This one is a little farther away from the back fence but not near a walkway or driveway so I think it will be ok. Thanks again

lilcee

Well, sadly the tree died. Thank you for your help tho. I think it was just too hot for it. We'll try again but not in the hot summer lol.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

So sorry. Yeah, probably too hot. They are easy to transplant, though.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”