harryhh
Cool Member

Bad pruning, is this tree going to die?

This is a maple tree. It looks like someone cut a couple of branches too close. Two holes have developed where the branches were. The tree is about 11 inches in diameter at the place where the branches were cut. The worst hole is about 2 inches in diameter, not counting where there is still some bark. The hole is a bit more than 1.5 inches deep. It has turned brown and black inside.

I am not sure but, I think the hole has gotten a bit deeper and darker in the 5 years I've been here.

The second hole is colored the same but about half as wide and deep.

Both pictures are of the larger hole.

Harry
Attachments
P1040019.JPG
P1040011.JPG

imafan26
Mod

If the hole does not have water in it as the tree grows it will grow smaller. That wound doesn't really look like it came from a tree branch. I would watch it. If fungus starts to grow into the heartwood the tree will eventually have to be cut down. If the wound is stable, the tree will wall it off and grow over it over time.

https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/t ... -and-decay

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks imafan26,

The pictures don't show how deep the hole is so I'm adding a picture with my finger in the hole. The hole gets a bit smaller in the back and takes a bit of a turn. So, my finger can't fit in the last 1/8 inch of the hole.

I guess I think there was a branch there because there are a couple of other places that look like a branch was there and the bark grows in the same way as around the hole.

There are a few other places where the bark is brown and very dark. Makes me worry about the general health of the tree or that it is getting diseased.

Harry
Attachments
P1040029 reduced copy 1.jpg
P1040024 reduced copy 1.jpg
P1040031 reduced copy 1.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Usually when you cut a branch, you don't do a flush cut. a collar will form around the cut and slowly grow in. The center of where the branch was cut sometimes will sink and rot. Usually if there is no gummosis or water, the sunken part will eventually stabilize and get sealed over with time. It takes years to do that.

harryhh
Cool Member

Thanks imafan26,

I will watch to see if water sits in the hole. Its been dry lately. Maybe it is my imagination that the hole is getting worse. It's just that the dark spot keeps catching my attention when I look at the tree. It didn't used to do that. I will try to measure if it gets any deeper.

There are places where branches were cut and they formed that round growth around the outer part of the old branch like I've seen in pictures. Apparently those cuts are healthy.

Harry

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”