Mickael Branham
Newly Registered

Is there any walnut tree that reproduce thru their roots?

I've found an area that has several mature black walnut trees, with walnut clusters visible. There are many trees, that look exactly like walnut trees but with no clusters at all. Around these ones are many seedlings/young ones. When digging them up, they are all connected with a root system.

jeff84

I don't think they put up suckers, but seedlings can be incorporated into the root mass of mature trees

Mickael Branham
Newly Registered

I did a quick reply so not sure where it went...

The little (approx 4" tall, walnut looking) trees I dug up were all connected with the same root. Almost all of them also had their own little roots starting to grow.

I've planted a few of these runs in 5gal buckets and they're doing fine. I don't want to plant them unless I know they're not an invasive species.

jeff84

where abouts are you located? I have a black walnut tree in my yard and do find them sprouting up all over. squirrels will bury the nuts and in doing so plant the seeds all over. they are easy to keep at bay. I wouldn't call them invasive by any means. I suppose if the property was unmaintained for several years they could take over

Mickael Branham
Newly Registered

I'm outside of Hebron, Indiana. The walnut trees and questionable walnut trees are in Culver, Indiana. I actually want young walnut trees to plant on my property. I have 2 on my property that are approx 75' tall and 2 that range from 15' to 30'. I need to make sure that these that I dug up are the real macoy. 0

jeff84

if they look like walnut and are growing around other mature walnuts, there probably is little chance of them being anything other than walnut

Mickael Branham
Newly Registered

Works for me, thanks Jeff!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Can you share some pictures? Ailanthus sprouts look very similar to walnuts and grow from root sprouts like you have described. The leaves and roots have a very bad very distinctive odor. I am dealing with a neighbors spreading tree and they come up everywhere.
https://www.ecolandscaping.org/05/invasi ... act-sheet/

Mickael Branham
Newly Registered

I'd actually found out that the many of the grown trees and 95% of all young ones were Tree of Heavens. Thank God I didn't plant them before doing a whole lot of research.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Once you've got them (ailanthus) it's really hard to get rid of them. Good thing you did your research.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”