carloss43
Newly Registered

Is my Italian Cypress a Goner?

For the past two weeks my cypress has gone through a number of phases and no improvement since I have tried to save it. I have not seen any spider mites, nothing unusual from the trunks/leaves, and drainage isn't a problem all tests have been administered. I have another cypress right across from it and both have been planted, and cared for the exact same way and time frame yet only one has been the healthiest and has no signs of any brown leaves etc. Any recommendations or helpful tips since it has been getting worse by the day would be greatly appreciated. I have some before and after pictures to show the progress and different similarities. Please help these were a gift for my family and I am trying everything to save it if possible. I am located in South Texas Zone 10a I have potted both plants 2 months ago.
Attachments
The healthiest (left side)
The healthiest (left side)
(After)
(After)
IMG_4643.JPG
(Before)
(Before)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi Carloss! Welcome to the forum.

Is one side shaded more than the other?

If not....

There are two fungal diseases that are pretty nasty with cypress. They're very common also.

One is Root and Crown Disease. If you look around the base of the plant where the bark touches the ground, you may see some white growths there. The bark may be brittle and the wood underneath may be affected. You can pull the dirt away from the roots at soil level, and treat the plant with systemic fungicide (there are special ones for cypress) and it *might* recover.

Cypress Canker is another fungus that causes these grayish sores all over the cypress. You need to look on the branches of the plant and around the trunk. Oozing sores on the bark are the sign. Systemic fungicides are effective if it's caught early.

Your plant looks fairly far along in disease. :cry:

It wouldn't hurt to crack the dirt around your plant as well, just to make sure that your drainage is adequate. You can sink a pitchfork down and just wiggle it enough to barely crack the dirt. Usually when you see all over browning like that, it's either a watering issue (either too much, or not enough) or it's a drainage issue.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”