ImpatientGardener

Cleaning up trimmings from shrubs

Hi

I have two Euonymus fortunei shrubs that I need to trim. One thing that I don't like is having to pick up all the clippings from the lawn and boarder after I trim it. Is there a trick to cleaning it up fast?

john gault
Green Thumb

I don't know what these shrubs look like, but maybe you can mulch under the shrubs and rake all the cuttings under the shrubs as part of the mulch.

applestar
Mod

Euonymus often has aphids and scale infestation on them. If that is the case with yours and you need to remove them, what I would suggest is putting down tarp (can be old vinyl shower curtain, old sheets, etc. -- something tough enough to lift up the pile of clippings by the corners -- before clipping them.

imafan26
Mod

That is a smart idea. If the branches are large, I just drag my can over and put them in and use loppers to cut them in smaller pieces so I an get more in the can. Most of my other trees don't grow that fast or I clip them more often so those I can generally use as mulch under the plants as long as the cutting are pest free. I don't have a lot of big plants so I rake as I go and bag the cuttings. The grass is already full of weeds so I just try to mow before the seeds set and just let everything lay as mulch. I have the most problems with the neighbors' plants invading my yard. They set seed everywhere and if I don't find them in time, they are hard to get rid of.

ImpatientGardener

applestar wrote:Euonymus often has aphids and scale infestation on them. If that is the case with yours and you need to remove them, what I would suggest is putting down tarp (can be old vinyl shower curtain, old sheets, etc. -- something tough enough to lift up the pile of clippings by the corners -- before clipping them.
Good idea. That's what I have been doing with some landscape fabric. I didn't see anyone else in the neighbourhood doing this, so I wondered if I was doing it wrong. I didn't see any aphids, but the leaves are pretty tough to break down into the soil which is why I was cleaning them up.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”