Capt Tony
Newly Registered

Maple Tree roots

I'm going to be putting in 2-3" flagstone around the Lily's and Boxwoods in the front of my house to create a retaining wall around my plants and shrubs. I have a 12 year old Maple in the front yard with some surface roots in the areas where the retaining wall will be.

There are some spots where the flagstones will be laid where the surface roots from the Maple Tree will prevent the flagstone from being laid level.

Can I cut back surface roots where needed without compromising the health and stability of the tree?
unnameda.jpeg
unnamed.jpeg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

You start cutting into tree roots and you will stress the tree significantly. The only way water and nutrients can reach the canopy is through the root system. Is there a way to level the area by raising the bottom row of wall above the roots?

john gault
Green Thumb

What's the species of your maple? I have a live oak in my front yard and luckily it has a very deep tap root system, so it's relatively easy to dig around my tree, but even then I still hit the little feeder roots that run along the surface, but it doesn't hurt the tree, it just grows new roots; it's a very robust species.

However, I read this on maples https://www.naturehills.com/garden-blog/ ... ot-system/ and if I had one I would really consider chopping it down. But that's assuming you have a Silver Maple, but if not it would depend on the type of maple.

Regardless, I can't see building a barrier that far away from the tree hurting it, even if you hit some of its roots, it should be able to regrow the root system with not negative effects to the tree, other then possibly slowing its growth, while it rebuilds its root system.

EDIT:
P.S. I recently ran a new water pipe to my house from the water meter and while digging the trench to lay the pipe I ripped thru a lot of roots, including up to the size of over an inch in diameter. I did come across one root that was at least 3-inches in diameter, but decided to not cut it, but I don't think it would have hurt the tree, it was just too much work and I not really needed. Despite cutting thru all those roots my tree is perfectly healthy and is showing new growth this year, as usual.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”