jeh

Roots never developed beyond root ball

I planted some 5 gallon rhapheolepis, Indian Hawthorne, well over a year ago in amended clay soil with pretty decent drainage. I live in SoCal with a slight ocean influence but not enough for any kind of salt problem. They were doing beautifully and developed lots of buds, but they never opened. They soon began losing their nice green color and then started to die. Despite my efforts, they just kept going downhill, so I dug them up. They were not root bound at all but failed to develop many roots beyond the original shape of the root ball. They did get ample water. I'm stumped. Ideas?
Attachments
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have hard dense clay here. I had unsuccessful fruit tree plantings my first 2 years. I dug a hole with plenty of width, had a great 1st year, then boom!!! dead after first full winter and spring. My clay made a closed pot so to speak. Water pooled and roots became bound.

I remedied it by cracking the surrounding clay AFTER planting and I took a long pitchfork and pierced the bottom of my clay planting hole then rocked it back and forth until there were obvious cracks, and the pitchfork sunk as low as I could get it BEFORE planting. My trees have been looking great for 6 years.

jeh

Excellent idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

:()

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”