06Honda

Planting under a pine tree

I have a pine tree that is about 20-25 feet high on my front yard that has a area under it and along the branch line where not much is growing. After reading several articles online some say that the needles falling off cause the soil to become acidic and other articles say the opposite. My question is can you rake the needles in the spring that have fallen off and plant seed with a mixture of topsoil and compost and it will grow or is it better long term to put plants that tolerate the soil under the tree. I have removed some of the lower branches due to being weighted down in the snow giving about 2-3 feet clearance for some planting. I am fine with either way but don't want to waste money on doing this and it dies. In my backyard I have found that Hosta's do will just about anywhere so this may be an option to green up the area. Any tips or input is welcome, and appreciated.

Paul

I live in southern Ontario, Canada Zone 5b

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Under a pine tree is a very difficult area. It is somewhat acid. But it is also a constant dense shade AND the pine tree roots suck all the water out of the soil there. Creeping wintergreen may grow there and bugleweed (aka Ajuga, aka carpet bugle) tolerates pretty much any conditions. Columbine, ladies mantle, bergenia, and lily-of-the-valley are perennials that tolerate dry shade.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”