jeffcaz02
Newly Registered

cleome

I brought this beautiful plant last year and it flowered lovely all summer, at the beginning of winter I trimmed it all and wrappred the container in bubble wrap to protect from frost. Now I expected to see some life showing its self but it looks as though its dead its terrible do I need to take all the branches everything away and trim to top of compost? I brought this as I was told it was hardy. .. I love plants but I'm not good at all, everything I plant seems to die or never flower. ALL HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

KeyWee

If you are talking about the cleome flower, it is an annual and will not live through the winter. Not sure where you are located but you spoke about a frost so I am assuming you are not in a tropical location. When you mentioned that you cut it back, you probably removed any seed pods that formed after flowers were spent. Cleome produces tons of seeds and they can be either collected for the following year or left to drop on the ground where the plants will reseed in the spring if your winters are mild enough. You're right, cleome is a beautiful plant with showy flowers, and you can look at any garden center where seeds are readily available. Plant then out now in a sunny spot and you will have them again this summer. (P.S. I have seeds if you can't find any:)

imafan26
Mod

Cleome is beautiful, in the tropics it is perennial and becomes a large shrub. Unfortunately it reseeds prolifically so I ended up having to take it out since it was spreading everywhere. I try to keep only the tamer plants that don't spread or reseed as well. I have made a few mistakes in that department and I am still trying to get rid of some of them.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”