Amyers321
Newly Registered

Is my Eastern Redbud Tree dead?

We purchased and planted an eastern redbud tree almost 3 years ago. The last 2 years it blooms this time of year almost like clockwork. As the past year has gone by I noticed in the offseason it looked a bit off and had some moss growing. Now, when it should be flowering, it shows no signs of life. There are cracks in the trunk as well. We had a really hot summer last year and almost no winter.
Looking for advice.
Attachments
20170414_184040.jpeg
20170414_184024.jpeg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Depending on your location, it does look to be goner. Eastern Redbuds are quite difficult to keep alive, especially if you have cold dry winters. They like more moderate temperatures and need lots of moisture. Here in Nebraska, we have native redbuds that do quite well compared to the Easterns, particularly those from nurseries or mail order. The trunk cracking is a give-away, along with what looks like moss on the trunk.

My redbuds have been flowering for several weeks, both Eastern and natives. Of the six we have, all have flowered and are now leafing out very well. Check the tips of the branches very closely for buds. You may even snap off a twig just to see if it is pliable at all. If you are way north me, it may surprise you and do something, but with the look of your other trees and leaves, I think not. Sorry.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, looks dead. You didn't say where you are located. If last year was like where I am, we had months and months of drought, with hardly any rain. I deep watered my trees (the young ones I planted, not the big old ones) regularly, like once a week. If you are in a cold winter area where the ground freezes, it is also important to thoroughly water the tree in late fall, just before that.

A young tree like yours does not have an extensive root system. There is no way it is going to survive drought without help.

Amyers321
Newly Registered

Thank you both for your feedback. We are located in Florida. We will be calling around attempting to replace our tree in the morning as it was planted in memory. Sadly, we failed at taking enough care of it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”