Kay
Newly Registered

Laburnum?

Hi. I am looking for more information about a small tree called "Golden Chain" which grows across Canada (originally from Europe), according to what I have been able to find. It comes in many varieties but Voss's Laburnum (laburnum vossii) sounds lovely. The seeds are poisonous and can harm a child who mistakes them for edible pea pods. Here's a google search of photos:

[url]https://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=laburnum[/url]

Any info on this tree (any variety), where to buy it, how to grow it, etc. would be appreciated. We live in Zone 4 (in British Columbia)

Thanks

Kay

Jess
Greener Thumb

Beautiful tree Kay but is it hardy for you?
You say you have seen it in Canada but in your zone? All the info I found said hardy to zone 6 and one said to zone 5a. Anyway It is a stunning tree, not too large and the flowers are very showy. Tough as old boots too as long as yu give it plenty of sun. Can be a bit messy when it finishes flowering. To extend the season of interest you can always grow a clematis through it that flowers mid to late summer.
Looks fantastic grown as a tunnel doesn't it? Quite breathtaking. I know it is poisonous but I have yet to see a kid try and eat a seed pod. I don't remember my kids ever trying to eat anything out of my garden unless I said they could. I work in two gardens with these trees in and I have not managed to poison myself either so I think common sense is all you need.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/449.shtml

This should give you a little more info on it but as for where you can purchase one you will have to ask someone a little nearer than me! :lol:

Kay
Newly Registered

Thanks for your response. Apparently the tree grows wild along the highways on southern Vancouver Island. Of course, that's likely Zone 6 or higher. But I've also read several web sites that say it grows in Quebec, for example, which is colder than where I am. So, it may be possible. One person said she was having trouble because her tree didn't flower. Someone responded that hers did in just as cold a spot (Zone 4, I believe).

I am hoping that someone in Canada or the northern US will see my post and tell me how he or she manages to grow this tree. Except for a very few parts of Canada, Zone 4 is about as good as it gets.

Perhaps, as it is a small tree, I could plant it in a container and bring it inside in winter.

As for the children eating the pods, modern children are a different breed, aren't they? When I was a kid (in northern Saskatchewan) the adults all said caraganna pods were poisonous and the kids all ate them, including me. I remember them quite fondly! We thought we were being very brave.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Laburnum x watereri is occasionally planted here in Zone 5b but it is somewhat marginally hardy. I'm very skeptical about the chances of survival in a Zone 4 climate short of an absolutely ideal alignment of genetics/provenance and siting. The specimens I'm aware of here are mostly in the ten to fifteen foot range which is a bit big for hauling indoors in the winter.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”