fishtycuffs
Newly Registered

Looking for a dense hardy shrub to fill a spot in my planter

Hi Everyone,

On my upper tier planting area I have planted a snow queen multi stem birch which is about 3 years old now and is growing nicely. About 3 meters to the left in a corner I have planted Rhodies that just haven't taken. I was originally looking for a shrub that would grow a few feet above the fence line and provide some privacy whilst providing a nice dense flowering shrub.

The soil they are growing in is acidic, a ph from 5.5 to 6.5 depending on where I prod the probe in. The moisture is relatively damp most of the time but I wouldn't necessarily say wet soil. Due to the retaining wall moisture does hold in the soil.

So, my intention is to remove the scraggly looking rhodies and replace with a hardy bush / shrub that likes the soil conditions and can tolerate morning and early afternoon shade. The corner gets a lot of late afternoon sun from about 3pm onwards. If the said shrub grows to the desired 8-10ft (ish) the top of the shrub would have full day sun as it is against the north side of my back fence.

Please have a look at the attached pic to see what I mean.

I would be very grateful for any advice or thoughts.

Paul
Attachments
Top Planter.jpg

applestar
Mod

I immediately thought of a couple, but need to know where you are located to decide whether they are suitable..... :wink:

fishtycuffs
Newly Registered

Thanks for your reply applestar,

I realize now, that was a critical piece of information I should have mentioned, apologies. I am in the UK, near Liverpool.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”