amd555
Newly Registered

To hedge or not too hedge --Fence idea

Hi Folks,

Attached is a good image of the fence area. Current it has some perennials that simple are not our style and hang over 1/2 the sidewalk. Talk my landscaper and he suggested 20-30 geranium flowers on the side. I was thinking about maybe some boxwood along the fence. The space between the fence and sidewalk is about a foot to 17 inches appx. the 2nd image is a boxwood example that I was thinking. Thoughts?
fence.JPG
008776013996.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Boxwood looks like it would work. It does tolerate partial shade.

You should do something that fits your style.

I am glad you are talking to your landscaper. Your landscaper will know best what will grow in the place and how much care it will need.

For myself, I would prefer a wider border and plants of different heights so the fence would not dominate the view.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, the typical boxwood will be too wide for your space, being about 3 ft high and wide at maturity. But there are dwarf boxwoods that only get 1-2 ft high and wide.

You didn't tell us where you are. If by "geraniums" you mean the showy flowered ones that are sold as geraniums in the store (which are really pelargoniums), they are only hardy to zone 9. Otherwise they would have to be dug and brought in in the fall or just started over in spring. And your fence line will look very bare the rest of the year.

Imafan, the OP can't make a wider border "the space between fence and sidewalk is about a foot to 18 inches"

With the fence on one side and the big tree on the other, it looks pretty shady there. How much direct sun does it get?

amd555
Newly Registered

There is not much sun. I am in the Chicago suburbs, so Midwest. I'm open to any ideas and I can provide exact measurements if need be. I hated the hostas we have there now!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So definitely cold winter area. Are you looking for something evergreen like the boxwood or do you not mind if it is dormant for the winter, like your hostas have been?

applestar
Mod

I think no matter what you plant, you will have walking dogs running through the space between the sidewalk and the fence and "doing their stuff" as well as wind-blown trash become trapped against the fence.

My feeling is that a hedge would be difficult to clean/pick up such junk from underneath and between it and the fence (unless maybe it is very thick to block intrusion, but thats not likely in the limited sun situation)

Also, if you think about it, when it snows, it will be difficult to differentiate between the sidewalk - the bed - fence and whatever is growing there would be easily damaged by the snow shovel or snow blower....

You might be better off with a mulched bed with annuals and late spring or summer bulbs that will not grow until snowfall is over, and bare mulched bed during the winter. Perennials would have to be late emerging, tough and resilient in case of snow shovel scalping.

...oh, and if you use salt in case of ice, anything planted need to be salt tolerant.

amd555
Newly Registered

I was thinking maybe a dward boxwood if Can keep it trimmed would be a good fit. 2 ft of boxwood and then Liriope is another option

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”