zeeshan112
Cool Member

Dracaena Plant - How to Make it More Bushy?

Hello guys

This is my Song of India Dracaena plant. What can I do to make it more bushy? As of now, it has just one main stem, where exactly should I cut the plant so that it can become more bushy? Is there any particular angle at which the cut should be made?

Please advise.
Attachments
dracaena.jpg

john gault
Green Thumb

I don't know anything about that plant, but my first thought would be to plant it in the ground, if not the ground, at least a much larger container.

I got a Yucca plant from a neighbor, which was in a container not much bigger than yours and it was only a single plant that was about 2-3 feet in height -- she had it for at least a year in that container. However, once I planted it in the ground it started growing numerous off-shoots and the largest is ~5 ft; this all happened in about a year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, at what ever point you cut it off, it will branch out into two stems or occasionally three.

If you really want it bushy, make your cut fairly low, so that then later you can cut both of the new stems.

Don't worry that you are cutting off more than half of your plant. Take the top part that you cut off and put it in water and it will readily root and you can plant that one. Now your single plant is two!! If you get a very large container and plant both of your two plants in it, it will definitely give it that fuller look.

Remember with plenty of room and good care your dragon plant will eventually make babies on its own- put up another stem from the roots.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Wow! Thank you soooo much!! Will definitely do this! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't be scared. I have done this and after being chopped the dragon tree just sat there and did nothing for so long I thought I had killed it. But it finally started growing and was better than ever. Just remember, while it has no leaves, it is not very active and not taking up much water, so don't over water it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”