Seananers

Re: can I make syrup from the sap of all maple trees?

ID jit wrote:Birch works well, not as sweet as maple, but a very interesting flavor.

If you want quarts, you had better have a small forest of birches (preferably far up hill) to tap and you will probably want to run lines into a collection drums.
I really don't want to much just a cup or two. but I bet I would need like 2 or 3 trees to get that much :lol:

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Seananers wrote:
ID jit wrote: I really don't want to much just a cup or two. but I bet I would need like 2 or 3 trees to get that much :lol:
A few good sized sugar maples and a good, long season, you could get a quart or two of something tastier and darker than the popular "fancy" grade,

A few foot diameter birches isn't going to get you all that much, even in a good season.

Part of me misses being farmed out to my uncles as free labour during the summer and sugering season. Miss the the belgians at one uncles farm but not the perpetual lifting of buckets, and I definitely don't miss walking miles of lines shaking the ice out of the bends at my other uncle.

It is a lot of fun on small scale though. Have fun with it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”