bewildered_nmsu

Juniper Cuttings

So…I've read about other people’s success rooting Thuja cuttings and was wondering if there was any reason why the same methods wouldn’t work for Juniper cuttings. Juniperus deppeana specifically.

Juniperus deppeana is the species native to my stretch of the Rocky Mountains and is a beautiful plant but impossible to find in nurseries. I was hopping (with official permission) to take a few cuttings and try rooting them.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I bet you can do this!
Maybe try Hormex 16?
https://www.hormex.net/comment.php?comment.news.1

Hormex is Hormex is Hormex; if you're going to try this route, buy it from who ever offers it the cheapest online.

If you're asking for permission for cuttings, why not ask for permission to collect some seed? You could cold stratify the seed then broadcast it in the area where you want it to grow then just sit back and wait a few years to see what happens. Come to think of it, if you're asking for permission how about asking them what they know about propagating this species and if they can offer any tips? People tinker around a lot and it never ceases to amaze me how many tinkerers there are out there who love to talk about their bombs and successes.

https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/jundep/all.html

I've never tried to propagate this plant myself but I would if I could. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be started from a cutting, just take your cuttings in fall.

bewildered_nmsu

You could cold stratify the seed then broadcast it in the area where you want it to grow then just sit back and wait a few years to see what happens.
I'm assuming I just take the seeds from the juniper cones (I've never seeded junipers before or any conifer for that matter, so I may be totally mixing this up). What time of year do Juniper cones mature? Does the time vary a lot by species? If so what is generally the case?
I don't see any reason why it couldn't be started from a cutting, just take your cuttings in fall.
What is the reason for taking cuttings in the fall?

Thanks in advance for any input.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm going to do my best to help you but please know I'm leaving for vacation for a few weeks real soon and am sort of getting frazzled.

My personal experiences are limited to Juniperus horizontalis.

Back about 10 years ago, I picked up my first copy of Michael Dirr’s ‘Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses’. This is generally the first place I go when I want to begin propagating a tree or shrub but I also always go to Ken Druse’s 'Making More Plants: The Science, Art and Joy of Propagation' and these days I always go online to the USDA site to see if I can tap into any research out there. Generally, you can pick up used copies of both publications at a University book store for under $20 a piece but most libraries have the Dirr book. So let’s start here. If you flip to the section on junipers, You'll notice Juniperus chinensis is the first species he discusses… but we're not interested in an exotic species that has flooded the market. Next species he discusses is J. communis. Looking to the area for propagation, we are referred back to J. chinenses. Same thing holds true for J. davurica, J. horizontalis, and every other Juniperus he lists is referring back to chinensis. So back to J. chinensis. If you can't get your hands on the book to read the pages on propagation, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will photograph them for you and send them to you. You really should read all of what's there. Note, although he has great information spanning several pages on propagation for this genus, he does state, “An expanded discussion of Juniper discussion is necessary because of their importance to the nursery industry and the tremendous volume of literature. Simply stated, there is no ubiquitous recipe for all junipers. Some root easily; others with difficulty. Many upright types must be grafted.â€

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Went online for you to poke around so you wouldn't be left hanging. It takes time figuring out what information to look for when searching and I still struggle pulling out that which would be applicable to my particular situation let alone somebody else's. Everybody needs to cut themselves some slack when going online as there's a learning curve to figuring out what to look for on the big www and even then some of the information may be bum info.
What is the reason for taking cuttings in the fall?
This sums up best time to take cuttings although I wouldn’t use their product-
https://www.rooting-hormones.com/takecut.htm
Couldn't find any literature on exactly why it's best to take cuttings in the late fall/early winter so I still can't answer your question.

This sums up the basic differences in junipers and it's a good read-
https://www.junipertrees.com/what-are-juniper-trees.html

This helps address some of the mistakes I made when attempting to germinate juniperus from seed-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_communis
Helps to take into account that the species are â€

bewildered_nmsu

Thank you very much for your input and all the info. I'm going to experiment with some cuttings from select plants in the Fall. I'll update this thread when that time comes 'round.

Sorry for the delayed response by the way, school demands are getting strenuous.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Good! I'd personally like to know how you do. Crossing fingers and toes for you ;)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”